The Watch



The ubiquitous wristwatch; for me, serves two simple purposes. Firstly, it is a quick and efficient means to tell the time. A simple raising of the arm accompanied by a slight twist of the wrist and you know the time. The rest of the time, it sits there on my wrist performing its second function which is to complement my personal style or fashion sense. For some that style may be a titanium encased combat watch designed to survive a tank rolling over it and taking up enough real estate on your wrist to equate to you putting a grandfather clock in you car to tell the time. Personally my tastes and physiology run along different lines. I have small wrists and prefer minimal, sleek and sophisticated.  I believe it adds a further dimension to how I choose to present my self to the outside world.

This brings me to the current discussions around wearable tech that is the subject of many a written article and news report. If a watch is able to do the above two things, I am happy parting with my money. People have been doing this for decades and will probably continue. If I have to trade off one or both, to be able to check my messages, take photos or know what my heart rate is then, I will be less inclined to part with my money as I see no great advantage over what my phone is currently able to do. If however, you take my current, sleek, minimalist and sophisticated watch and add to it a heart rate and run walk monitor, I would be even more interested in parting with my money. The more functions  you add to my sleek, sophisticated and minimalist time keeping wristwatch the more I am inclined to buy it, but for me it starts out with two very simple questions, can I tell the time with a simple raising of the arm and a twist of the wrist and will it give a hint of my personality.  
 

Comments

Popular Posts